a) DEPARTMENT PROFILE :
In SPS Nellore District at present Veterinary Health cover is provided by 217 field Veterinary Institutions comprising of 1 Veterinary Poly Clinic at District level manned by Deputy Directors as referral District hospitals providing specialized services in Gynecology, Surgery and Medicine, 23 Taluk level Veterinary Hospitals manned by Assistant Directors, 114 Veterinary Dispensaries manned by Veterinary Assistant Surgeons and 80 Rural Livestock Units at Village level manned by Para Vets are functioning.
There is one Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratories are functioning, at district headquarters with facilities for disease investigation, quick diagnosis and for mapping out diseases to render timely and effective control measures. These are the district referral laboratory for effective diagnosis and vaccine distribution work.
Animal Husbandry activities were reoriented towards increased production of livestock products like Milk, Meat and Eggs, besides providing adequate health care and control of diseases aiming to improve the economy of rural poor through livestock rearing. With its livestock resources and gradual enlightment of the farmers along with dedicated and sustained efforts of the Department over the years have elevated the SPSR District to a prominent position in the State of Andhra Pradesh in the Livestock Sector.
- Improving the production potential by way of breed up gradation in Cattle and Buffaloes through Artificial Insemination.
- Providing preventive and curative health care to Livestock through constant vigil on disease outbreaks, rendering preventive vaccinations, deworming and treatment of ailing animals.
- Augmenting fodder production to meet the nutritional requirements of Livestock.
- Providing relief measures to livestock during natural calamities.
- Building awareness among farmers on profitable Livestock production.
- Coordinating with Health Department in controlling Diseases of Zoonotic importance.
- Providing technical support to Livestock based poverty alleviation programmes.
- To implement the Y.S.R Pashu Nasta Parihara Padakam.
19th Livestock Census SPS Nellore District population
|2019 (19th Census)